Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Integration of nForce SataRaid drivers
2006-06-21, 11:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 2006-06-21, 10:10 PM by Fernando.)
RE:  Integration of nForce SataRaid drivers
gisborne Wrote:I just tried *very carefully* starting from scratch, slipstreaming in SP2, then loading up all the 6.85 drivers. And I get the STOP error.
Either you have done something wrong or you have a problem with your hardware (probably with your Raid controllers).
To exclude the latter I have proposed to try an install by using the F6 method with the old 6.56 driver package.
Why didn't you do that?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the 6.53 package. The 6.56 package is a 64-bit one.
My current system:
MB: ASUS P5B-E Plus BIOS: 0617
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6750
RAM: 4x1024 MB Corsair DDR-2 CL4 800 Mhz
HD: 2x250 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Intel ICH8 Raid0
PSU: ATX Xilence Power 600W
VIDEO: Gainward 256 MB Bliss 8600GT PCX
2006-06-21, 08:13 PM,
RE: Integration of nForce SataRaid drivers
I didn't use that one, because when I go to the link, it says it's a 64-bit driver. So I found 6.53 via Google, and tried creating a slipstreamed CD with that (without setting "bad driver", since it sounds as though that's not necessary). That gave me a different STOP error quite early in proceedings. Then I tried it via floppy/F6 (ie your proposal above). That led to the original STOP error. So then I tried setting "bad driver" and making a slipstreamed CD. This also leads to a STOP error.

I still have a system that *almost* boots. Can I not repair this from the Recovery Console?
2006-06-21, 09:06 PM,
Current status: the closest I've come to getting this working is using a slipstreamed beta driver CD. That will boot the CD, see the RAID array, install and reboot into the "off the drive" part of the install, but then goes into the reboot loop.

This strongly suggests to me that the RAID controller is actually working.

Given that I can boot to Recovery Console from here, is there some way for me to hack Windows to load the right driver from there (eg copy file to floppy, go edit it on another machine, copy it back)?
2006-06-21, 09:45 PM,
BTW: Probably not relevant, but this is XP Pro.
2006-06-21, 10:50 PM,
gisborne Wrote:I didn't use that one, because when I go to the link, it says it's a 64-bit driver.
You are right, within my last post I mixed 6.53 and 6.56 - my bad, but in previous posts the version number was correct.
gisborne Wrote:So I found 6.53 via Google, and tried creating a slipstreamed CD with that (without setting "bad driver", since it sounds as though that's not necessary). That gave me a different STOP error quite early in proceedings. Then I tried it via floppy/F6 (ie your proposal above). That led to the original STOP error.
This result supplies evidence, that something is wrong with your system and not with the used drivers.
gisborne Wrote:I still have a system that *almost* boots. Can I not repair this from the Recovery Console?
No you can't, but what you can do is to see the error message without reboot loopings: Hit F8 after having started booting and choose the option "no reboot at system failure" or something like this. Then you will see the STOP message.
If you have access to the not working XP partition from outside, you should have a look for the file SETUPERR.LOG (good: size = 0). You find it within the WINDOWS root.

For further assistance you should contact a hardware expert in your neighborhood. Or bring your mainboard to the customer and let him check the Raid controllers.

Whenever you find the reason for your troubles, please post it here. I am very interested to know, how you managed it to get a working OS onto your nVRaid array.

Good luck!
Fernando

My current system:
2006-06-21, 11:37 PM,
SETUPERR.LOG size=0 is correct.

When I do "No reboot on system failure", I see:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried turning on boot logging, but I don't appear to have a ntbtlog.txt when I then go into the recovery console.

I turned on debugging, but it just crashes right away.

I'm surprised there isn't some way to fix this from the console. Presumably, there is a file somewhere that tells Windows to load the driver. Or perhaps I can delete the driver it is wrongly trying to use instead. If you would tell me more about this driver conflict and how we are working around it, perhaps I can work out another way around it.
2006-06-22, 07:31 AM,
I've just turned off the RAID, and have succeeded in installing on a single drive. It appears to be working fine, so after spending two weeks on this thing, I think I'm just going to use software RAID. Thanks for your efforts to help.
2006-06-22, 07:38 AM,
gisborne Wrote:I tried turning on boot logging, but I don't appear to have a ntbtlog.txt when I then go into the recovery console.
I turned on debugging, but it just crashes right away.
I'm surprised there isn't some way to fix this from the console. Presumably, there is a file somewhere that tells Windows to load the driver. Or perhaps I can delete the driver it is wrongly trying to use instead. If you would tell me more about this driver conflict and how we are working around it, perhaps I can work out another way around it.
If you want, you can verify, if the nForce SataRaid driver NVATABUS.SYS has been correctly installed:
Open the file SETUPAPI.LOG (to find in the WINDOWS root of the fresh installed partition) and search (use the search function of the menue bar) for "NVATABUS" and "NVIDIA NFORCE4 SERIAL ATA CONTROLLER". Then you can read, if this correct and required driver has been installed or the wrong one named "STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER".
You cannot repair a hardware issue by using the recovery console.
My current system:
2006-06-22, 07:51 AM,
Neither nvatabus nor the serial ata controller show up in setupapi.log. Given that I can install and run Windows without RAID, and now this new information, this doesn't appear to be a hardware issue to me, which is why I figured this could be fixed from the recovery console.

But I've wasted far too much time on this already. I'm very grateful for all your help, but unless you can think of something new to try, I'm going to give up on RAID, and set up some kind of software mirroring (any ideas?).

Cheers.
2006-06-22, 08:54 PM,
gisborne Wrote:Neither nvatabus nor the serial ata controller show up in setupapi.log. Given that I can install and run Windows without RAID, and now this new information, this doesn't appear to be a hardware issue to me.
When the XP hardware detection doesn't find a proper working device (for example one of your Raid controllers), it would not install any drivers, even not the S-ATA ones. I still suppose, that a hardware issue is the reason for all troubles.
Another idea: It might be possible, that your tests by building and deleting the Raid array, installing an OS onto the Raid array and then onto a single S-ATA drive gave you a corrupt MBR or a corrupt data structure of your Raid array.
My suggestions:
1. Check your disks by using the checkdisk utility.
2. Before you create a new Raid array, you should low format both hdd's!
My current system: